We have a tiny little apple tree in our backyard. It’s a golden delicious apple tree, but I think we’ve always picked the apples when they are still green. This little tree is about 7 years old, and last fall was the first year that we have picked a plethora of apples from our little tree.
We picked all of the apples at one time because we have some lovely neighborhood crows who like to pick the apples for us if we give them the chance. Since we had a crate full of apples they were not going to go to waste. I looked online at recipes and ideas for processing the apples and decided to freeze them. And I also decided that they would be made into apple pie filling based on my googling, researching, and reading.
The recipe I found was talleyfarmsfreshharvest.com. I was looking for a simple recipe that would be quick and easy to put together. And for my apples I only used 1/2 of the sugar called for, wanting to keep the sweetness to a minimum. I made a single batch of “pie filling” each time I was processing the apples. This just made it easier to keep track of the amount of apples I was peeling, and then mixing in the ingredients after the peeling process. A certain Travel Man in know was very excited about the prospect of having multiple apple pies at the ready to be baked for desserts when he is home between assignments.
This is the typical amount of apples that I put in a ziploc bag and then in the freezer.
Frozen Apple Pie-
- 10 cups peeled, sliced & cored apples (use an apple peeler to save time)
- 1/3 cups sugar (or more if very tart)
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (slightly heaping)
- Put in the peeled apples in a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss to cover all the apples.
- Put in a one gallon freezer bag making sure to scrape the bowl.
- Flatten bag and freeze.
- When ready to make a pie, no need to thaw, just pull bag out.
- Make your crust and empty the bag in the crust, flattening to fit.
- Bake at 425 degree F for 45-55 minutes.
The pie will look like this before you put it in the oven.
Then once your baking is complete you will have this lovely dessert.
If you enjoy apple pie this is a super simple dessert you can throw together in a jiffy. Oh and don’t forget to add the whip cream or ice cream, and enjoy!