Presents wrapped, cookies all baked? Are you ready for tonight and tomorrow?
I have been working on lots of crafts, and baking. I really can’t share any of my crafting goodies with you all until after Christmas Day. I don’t want to give away any secrets you know.
My favorite cookies to bake are always sugar cookies, and spritz. Love the buttery deliciousness of both of these cookies. The recipes that I use are from a Betty Crocker cookie book.
Nana Joan’s Sugar Cookie-
* This is a recipe that we cooked growing up. Always a favorite at Christmas time.
- 3/4 c. shortening (use part margarine or butter)
- I highly recommend using only butter. Butter makes everything better!
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring. Beat until creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Chill the dough for at least 4 hours.
- For painting the cookies before baking use evaporated milk and food coloring.
- Bake at 400 degrees on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Baking time is 6-8 minutes
And the recipe for the Spritz cookie which require a cookie press go like this-
- 1 C. butter or margarine, softened (I recommend butter only!)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract or vanilla
- Heat oven to 400.
- Mix margarine and sugar in large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Chill the dough for a few hours.
- Place dough in cookie press, and form desired shapes.
- Decorate with colored sugar or candies.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 5-8 minutes until set but not brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
- Makes 6-7 dozen cookies.
- Freeze any extras if you have them. These freeze well.
- Great cookie to mail for the holidays.
Oh, and this is what my sweet baby granddaughter was doing while her mother and I baked our little hearts out last week.
Wishing you and yours the Merriest of Christmas seasons. I hope each and every one of you has a splendid time with your families near and far.
Leave a Reply